Last weekend, my uncle introduced me to a group of his friends. They were very interesting people because they run wine of the month clubs all over the city. I spent some time with them and I was given a short lesson on how to drink wine.
Here's what I learned that afternoon.
1. The wine should be at proper temperature. White should be chilled, red should be at room temperature.
2. Have a good bottle opener and open it.
3. Inspect the cork for any mold or discoloration.
4. Once removed, sniff the cork. See if it smells good.
5. Decant if there's sediment.
6. Pour it and let stand to "breathe" for a moment.
7. Deeply inhale the scent of your wine.
8. Take a sip and hold it in your mouth for a moment.
9. Drink up!